Tuesday 18 March 2008

Gajar Matar ki Sabzi

What do you do when you don't have any vegetables readily available with you and you are not in the mood to have chole, rajma, moong or other such things? Let me tell you what I do. I make Gajar Matar ki sabzi. For some reasons I always have carrots in my kitchen. Not that I get it & then don't use it and it keeps lying in the refrigerator. On the contrary we use it almost everyday as a salad and also sometimes in my 9 months old daughter's meal in the form of puree. So Carrots are always on the list when I go for my weekly veg/grocery shopping. Also frozen peas are always stocked in the freezer. So many times this is on the menu on a Friday evening when I am out of all the veggies and nothing special is planned for dinner.







Serves 2

Ingredients
2 carrots washed, peeled & cut into small pieces
One large bowl peas
1 tsp jeera (cumin seeds)
1 pinch of hing (asafoetida)
1/2 tsp haldi (turmeric powder)
1 medium sized tomato, chopped
1 tsp chili powder
2 tsp dhaniya jeera powder (coriander & cumin powder)
1/2 tsp garam masala powder
Salt
Chopped Coriander leaves

Method:

Heat oil in a pan and add the jeera. When it changes colour put hing & haldi. Add the carrot & saute for a few min. Add the peas and cook on medium heat for about 3-5 min.


(The colours were looking so vibrant that I could not resist taking this snap. I only wish we could get those red carrots here that we get in India)


Add the chopped tomatoes & mix. Now add the salt, chili powder, dhaniya jeera powder & Garam Masala powder & mix properly. Cook for 2-3 min.

Add enough water to immerse the carrot & peas. Cover & cook till the carrots are tender. Add the coriander leaves & mix.

Now simmer & cook without the cover till the water evaporates. Garnish with some more coriander leaves.

6 comments:

  1. thanks so much! amazing recipe

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is the second recipe of yours that I am trying- I tried Baigan ka bartha. Both have turned out pretty good!
    Thanks
    Nilam

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice recipe tried it turned out well

    ReplyDelete
  4. good one...really helped...god bless u...keep helping with such easy n fast cooked recipes..thanx
    -Kirtan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this recipe! I tried it for the first time today and its so great and simple. Also, I love the way you started your blog - I too always seem to have carrots lying around :)
    Cheers and keep the coming!

    ReplyDelete

Hello & Welcome to Taste Buds! Thank you for dropping by and I hope you enjoyed your visit here. Your comments & suggestions are very valuable and I will try to reply to them at the earliest.