There are times when you just don't want to eat the same old regular stuff, thats when you start thinking about how you can spice up things and come up with a new/different dish. After all Necessity is the mother of invention! And if that dish turns out to be a healthy one all the more better!
One such necessity led me to pick up all the Dals/lentils available in my kitchen and this mixed Dal was created. Now since there are so many lentils and a couple of legumes involved, this is a protein rich dish which will have me hunting for even more lentils & legumes when I make it again and this time it will be a deliberate attempt and not one born out of necessity :)
- A mix of various lentils & legumes, I used the following in equal quantities
- Chana Dal (Chickpea)
- Masoor Dal (Split Red Lentil)
- Toor Dal (Pigeonpea)
- Moong dal (Split Green Gram))
- Lobhiya (Black eyed Beans)
- Whole Moong (Green Gram)
- Whole Urad (Horsebean)
- 2 tblsp Ghee (Clarified Butter)
- 1 tsp Jeera (Cumin seeds)
- 1-2 pinches of Hing (Asafoetida)
- 1 tsp Haldi (Turmeric powder)
- 2 cloves of Garlic, chopped
- 2 Green Chillies, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
Pressure cook the Dals till tender.
Heat the ghee in a pan and add the jeera. Add in the hing & Haldi. Add the garlic & chillies and roast.
Throw in the onion & tomatoes and cook till the tomatoes are soft. Add the Garam Masala & coriander powder and mix well.
Add the cooked Dal, salt and some water and cook till the Masala is incorporated into the Dal.
Add chopped coriander leaves and turn off the flame.
This tastes great as a side with Roti/Phulkas and Bhaji and can also be paired with steamed rice.