Tuesday 17 March 2009

Dum Paneer Kali Mirch

I don't remember where I had got this recipe from. It was collected during the days when I was actively (read desperately) looking for Paneer recipes all over. Google search results & some news paper cuttings plus many of those appearing in the magazines and not to forget all those cookery shows (specially Sanjeev Kapoor's Khana Khazana) made up my collection of these treasured Paneer recipes. This was one of them. Since I have this one written down from my days before I even knew about food blogging, I don't know the exact source.

Somehow this collection has been neglected for the need of having to look them up in the diary. I always tend to go for the normal ones that I am used to making now. But the day of 14th march demanded something different. It was GM's Birthday and Paneer had to be on the menu. But I didn't want to go for the regular Paneer dishes because I wanted it to be different. So this one was dug out again of the diary.

It feels almost nostalgic to note that my first recipe post on this blog Paneer Makhani and the first post after completing a year is also a Paneer dish!

Dum Paneer Kali Mirch

Picture 065

Ingredients

  • 2 cups Paneer, cubed
  • 1 Big onion, thinly sliced
  • 1 tsp Garlic paste (or minced)
  • 1 tsp Ginger paste (or grated)
  • 1-2 Green chillies (according to taste)
  • 1.5 tblsp Oil
  • 1" piece of cinnamon
  • 2-3 cloves
  • 1-2 Green Cardamom
  • 10-12 Black Peppercorns, coarsely ground
  • 2 tblsp Curd, beaten
  • 1 tsp Coriander powder
  • 1 tblsp chopped coriander leaves
  • 1/2 tblsp chopped mint leaves
  • Salt

Method:

Heat 1/2 tblsp oil and saute the sliced onion in it till they are nicely browned. Cool and grind to paste with a little water.

Heat the remaining 1 tblsp oil. Add the cinnamon, cloves & Cardamom and fry for a minute. Add the Garlic, Ginger & green chillies and fry.

Add the onion paste and continue to fry for another minute. Reduce the flame and add the curd, salt, coriander powder and ground pepper.

Add about 1/2 cup of water, bring to a boil and add the paneer. Add the chopped coriander & mint leaves.

Cover and cook on low flame for about 5-7 minutes.

Serve hot with Roti or rice.

Picture 080

Note: While browning the onions, don't let them burn too much else the gravy will have a slight bitter taste (This was not mentioned in the recipe but I have learnt it the 'bitter' way!)

Adjust the quantity of green chillies according to the spice level you are comfortable with, also keeping in mind that the peppercorns & cloves will also add some heat to the dish.

And since 'Kali Mirch' (Black Pepper) happens to be the main star of the dish, this goes to Think Spice - Think Pepper event being held at Divya's blog Dil se, the event having originated at Sunita's World.

And here are some of those 'regular' Paneer dishes :)

 

rci-Lucknow

Update: As this dish is cooked in ‘Dum’ style (on a low flame) it qualifies for this month’s RCI-Lucknow at Home Cook’s Recipes. The event was initiated by Lakshmi.

4 comments:

  1. Send it to RCI event too, I made a DUM dish too. Paneer looks so delicious, great entry! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paneer looks very delicious Bhagyashri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Asha: Thanks a lot! I am not sure if this one qualifies but will try for sure. Thanks for letting me know :)

    Trupti: Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diff recipe with paneer! Thanks for sending it to Think Pepper event!

    ReplyDelete

Hello & Welcome to Taste Buds! Thank you for dropping by and I hope you enjoyed your visit here. Your comments & suggestions are very valuable and I will try to reply to them at the earliest.