Thursday 15 July 2010

Kara Sev for ICC

This month’s challenge was Kara Sev, which turned out to be very different from the sev that we make at home. Having said that, I had never tried making sev, any kind, before this. I had seen my Mom make it every Diwali for the ‘faral’ but had never tried to do it myself. So just like the Muruku gave me practice for the Chakli making, Kara sev has made me familiar with the sev making process.

The major difference in the two types of sev has to be the addition of rice flour in the case of kara sev. The recipe provided was simple & easy to follow and something as delicious and addictive as Sev can not be simpler to make.

I reduced the quantity of the ingredients to make a lesser amount. The original quantity mentioned in the recipe are being given in brackets next to the quantity that I actually used.

Kara Sev

KaraSev2

Ingredients

  • 1 Cup Besan (Gram Flour) (2.5 cups)
  • 2 tblsp Rice flour (1 cup)
  • 1/4 tsp Red Chilli Powder (1/4 tsp)
  • 1/4 tsp Black Pepper Powder (1 tsp)
  • 1/4 tsp Garlic paste (2 garlic pods, crushed)
  • 1/2 tsp Ghee (2.5 tsp)
  • Salt
  • 1 pinch cooking soda (I skipped this)
  • a little water
  • Oil for deep frying

Method: Take all the ingredients except for the oil & water in a bowl and mix well.

Now sprinkle a little water and knead into a firm but soft dough. Use water as required but only a little at a time.

Heat the oil in a kadai. Check to see if the oil is hot enough, pinch off a little dough and drop it into the oil. If it sizzles right away, the oil is heated enough.

Grease the Chakali Maker with the Sev attachment, well and place the dough into it. Cover and press directly over the hot oil taking care not to splutter any hot oil. If you are not confident enough to do this, grease a plate and press on to it. Then transfer to the hot oil.

Fry till it starts to brown. Drain onto kitchen towel. Allow it cool completely before breaking it down and storing into an air tight container.

KaraSev1

My Notes: This was a simple & easy recipe with a great end result. I had to reduce the amount I made for fear of munching on the sev too much (we are a little weight conscious nowadays!).

Although I had thought I had added enough salt, I found that the sev could have done with more. I guess you should add a little more than you actually think is required. Apart from this one thing, the Kara sev was perfect!

9 comments:

  1. they look great dear, lovely. I too reduced the quantity as 2.5 cups was too much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I realized that there are quite a few snacks out there that share almost the same recipe but the final product takes different shapes! Nice shots- thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. bhagyashri, kara sev looks delicious. MY son loves this sev

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, mine could have used more flavor as well. Next time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Priya: Yes, but I am already regretting that I reduced the qty. We have already finished whatever was made :)

    Adelina: You are right about that, every cuisine has a different version of the same dish!

    Trupti: Thanks, my daughter loves it too!

    myspicykitchen: Thanks a lot!

    Scraps: yeah & my next time could be very soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi
    Great recipe
    what a photograph WOW!!!I am adding you to my side bar

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bhagyashri, Kara seve pictures have come out so well..thanks for joining us..

    ReplyDelete

Hello & Welcome to Taste Buds! Thank you for dropping by and I hope you enjoyed your visit here. Your comments & suggestions are very valuable and I will try to reply to them at the earliest.