Tuesday 5 August 2008

Saffron & Cardomom Panna Cotta

Update on 6th Aug: Zlamushka has agreed to accept this for the event as the entries have not yet been compiled. So this post is going to Tried & Tasted after all :)

 

I got everything ready to make the Panna Cotta. Heavy cream (Extra double, it says!), the gelatin (my first time with this wonder ingredient), the spices (lovely combination) and so on. But most importantly the recipe, from none other than the 'Queen of Desserts' herself - Meeta (What's for lunch Honey)!

With everything done, the ramekins safely put away in the refrigerator, I sat down to write this post and thought of confirming the deadline for Tried & Tasted, where What's for lunch honey, 'is' the featured blog.

One look at Zlamushka's Spicy Kitchen and I felt as if I had studied for Mathematics and on reaching the Examination hall, discovered that the today's subject was Science! The deadline had already passed me by and in my enthusiasm to get all the things in place before I thought of making the dish, I had missed the event altogether!

Jugalbandi is the featured blog for this month now, and I am going to make sure that this time I don't repeat the mistake.

As for the Panna Cotta, I followed Meeta's recipe exactly as it is, just like an obedient student and was rewarded with a rich, delicious dessert. Read the original recipe here.

Makes about 5 small ramekins.

Ingredients

  • 3 1/4 Double Cream
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • a pinch of salt
  • 1 cup of milk
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons gelatin
  • 5 Cardamom pods
  • some strands of saffron
  • Coarsely chopped almonds for garnish

Method:

Combine the  cream, sugar & salt in a saucepan and heat the mixture without boiling it. Turn off the heat and add the cardamom & saffron and keep aside for approx 25-30 min for the flavours to infuse in.

Sprinkle the gelatin in the milk and keep aside for about 10 minutes for the gelatin to soften, without stirring it.

Add the gelatin mixture to the cream and heat again. Keep stirring to dissolve the gelatin. The mixture has to be heated but not boiled.

Take some ice & water in a bigger bowl and keep a smaller bowl immersed in this. Strain the Cream into this small bowl. Keep stirring until the mixture cools and thickens.

Pour into ramekins, cover with cling film and refrigerate for at least 10-12 hours.

5Aug08 102

I served them as it is in the ramekins, sprinkled with almonds and some saffron strands.

This was the first time I attempted a Panna Cotta and we absolutely loved it. This is going to be a regular dessert for us now onwards, keeping in mind of course the calories it carries! Thank you Meeta for this recipe.

This Panna Cotta is on its way to DK (Culinary Bazaar) for her A.W.E.D.-Italiano event

5 comments:

  1. oh i love this panacotta. Send it over to T&T, as I havent compiled the round-up yet and please confirm by e-mail, so I know you are still interested in participating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow something new. Looks gr8 and tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely dessert. Am going to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zlamushka: Thanks a lot for accepting this!
    Kitchen Flavours: Yes it certainly is one heavenly dessert!
    Srividya: Thanks, do let me know if you like it. We have to thank Meeta for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely! glad you liked the panna cotta. it is one of the easiest desserts to make and can be made in so many different flavors. thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Hello & Welcome to Taste Buds! Thank you for dropping by and I hope you enjoyed your visit here. Your comments & suggestions are very valuable and I will try to reply to them at the earliest.