Friday 2 May 2008

The Lone Spinach story...

I can not think of Palak(Spinach) individually except for maybe soups. If it is a curry it has to be paired with something - Paneer, Potato, Lentils, Corn, Chana and so on. That is why when my mother in law suggested that we make Palak bhaaji one afternoon, a few months back in India, my first question was Palak and....? I was surprised when she said nothing else, only palak, apart from the usual onions & Garlic.

I stood back and observed everything that she did, curious to the hilt as to how this Bhaji would turn out. Thinking to myself that if this is good (I still had doubts about using only palak!), I am going to make it a part of my kitchen when I go back to London. The problem I always had was to make sure I had the other ingredient (one of the above mentioned) if I wanted to make something out of spinach so this recipe was great for me!

Serves 2
Ingredients
200 gm Spinach, chopped
(I would have said 1 bunch but here I get packets of 'prepared' Spinach leaves )
1 medium sized Onion, chopped
2 cloves of Garlic, crushed
1 tsp Mustard seeds
1 tsp Cumin seeds
a pinch of Hing (Asafoetida)
1/2 tsp Haldi (turmeric powder)
2 tsp Goda Masala or any other curry masala
1/2 tsp Red Chili powder (Increase the qty if the curry masala doesnt have chili in it)
1/2 tsp Sugar
Salt

Method:
Heat oil in a kadai/pan. Add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Once the mustard seeds splutter add the hing and the crushed Garlic.

Stir in the chopped onions and saute till the onions are translucent. Now add the haldi. Toss in the chopped spinach and mix properly. Cook on slow flame till the Spinach starts leaving water & gets a little tender.

Now add the salt, goda masala and sugar. Stir and cook till the spinach is completely cooked, sprinkling some water in between, if needed. Add a dash of lime juice and serve hot with Chapati/Phulka.



Thats it! Nothing complicated or exotic but it was delicious. And imagine you can have a bhaaji ready in a jiffy with nothing else but Palak.

My mother in law likes my cooking and loves the fact that I am always trying out new dishes but I still have lots to learn from her!

1 comment:

Hello & Welcome to Taste Buds! Thank you for dropping by and I hope you enjoyed your visit here. Your comments & suggestions are very valuable and I will try to reply to them at the earliest.