Tuesday 1 February 2011

Sabudana Khichdi

I have been itching to get back to the blog but there hasn't been much cooking going on these days because of health issues. We are having this Khichadi almost every day, not that we mind.

I am recovering now and so thought that I will get back to the one resolution I made this year, well not exactly a resolution but a change in the lifestyle you could say. Up until now I had never fasted, weekly or otherwise even though it is quite common in the household back home. One major reason is that I tend to have low blood sugar which makes it difficult for me to go without eating anything for a long time. The other reason being that I dont really believe in fasting for religious purposes, especially when you compensate by having a lot of other goodies.

And goodies they definitely are! All food items that can be consumed during a fast are invariably delicious. You could say this was part of the reason I finally decided to give it a go and will be trying to fast once a week. I had been doing this for 4 weeks before I fell ill and had to take a break. But I am getting back to it now mainly because I need a change from the normal routine food and look forward to savour the fasting goodies!

I call this the subdued version of ‘Sabudana Wada’ for the simple reason that the ingredients are almost the same but its not fried. As mentioned in my post for Sabudana Wada, the trick to making good Sabudana Khichdi is also soaking it right. Thats half your work done. all that remains is assembling and cooking.

 

Sabudana Khichdi

Picture 105

serves 2

Ingredients

  • 1 cup sabudana
  • 1 tblsp oil
  • 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
  • 2-3 Green chillies, slit lengthwise
  • 1 medium sized potato, boiled and roughly cut into pieces
  • 1/4 cup –1/2 cup roasted peanut powder
  • salt

Method:

The first step of course is to soak the Sabudana. If you have the medium sized normal Sabudana you need to soak it for about 4-6 hours. If the the sabudana smaller in size, 20-30 minutes will be enough. Take the sabudana in a container and fill it with water so that the Sabudana is just immersed. Too much water will make it soggy while less water will mean dry sabudana.

Heat the oil in a kadai. Once hot, add the Cumin seeds and let them sizzle. Add the chillies and fry for a minute.

Now add the boiled potato pieces and mix well to coat them with the oil.

Mix the peanut powder and salt together with the soaked Sabudana. Add this mixture to the cooking potato and mix well. Reduce the flame, cover and cook for about 15-20 minutes, stirring in between to make sure it doesn't stick to the bottom of the kadai. Serve hot.

My Notes:  The usual method of making sabudana Khichdi is to mix the soaked sabudana, boiled potato, peanut powder, salt and green chilli paste together and then adding this mix to the oil & cumin seeds. But I find that this sometimes results in a soggy khichdi because of the over handling of the boiled potatoes. So I prefer to do it this way.

Also you can use Ghee instead of oil for the tempering and sprinkle some grated coconut on the khichadi.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello & Welcome to Taste Buds! Thank you for dropping by and I hope you enjoyed your visit here. Your comments & suggestions are very valuable and I will try to reply to them at the earliest.