Monday 26 January 2009

Paneer Bhurji

Thinking about what to cook for Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner is very difficult for me, but the tougher thing is to decide what to pack in the lunch box. It should be filling and also convenient to be carried along. Most of the times I end up making wraps - nothing fancy, just a Bhaji/Stir fry filling in a Chapati or sometimes Tortillas depending upon the filling. But again there is that question of what filling???

The filling ranges from a simple Potato Bhaji to a beans gravy (black eyed beans, Rajma, Chickpeas etc). This way I have a satisfied feeling of having packed something substantial in the lunch box and GM is happy that he is not really eating in the routine way...

Paneer Bhurji is what I make on days that

  • I have run out of vegetables OR
  • We are not in the mood for vegetables OR
  • We are in the mood for something special

But then I have never considered this one to be a special Paneer dish as with the others. One of the reasons is that, I usually make this when I am pressed for time, and if I don't have potatoes at home! Potato will always be my first choice!

Bhurji denotes quick & easy for me. Paneer Bhurji is both of these in addition to being delicious. Its ready in no time and serves as a great lunch box solution.

Just fill spoonfuls of this delicious Bhurji into Chapatis/Rotis or even Tortillas and you have a 'Wrap' ready to go!

Paneer Bhurji

20Aug08 390

Serves 2

Ingredients

  • 2 cups grated Paneer (Cottage Cheese)
  • 1 medium sized onion, chopped
  • 2 Green Chillies, chopped
  • 1 small tomato, chopped
  • 1 tsp Cumin seeds
  • 1 tblsp oil
  • 1/2 tsp Haldi (Turmeric powder)
  • Fresh Coriander leaves

Method:

Heat oil in a pan. Splutter the cumin seeds and then add the green chillies & onion. Saute for about 3 min.

Add the Haldi and then the tomato and cook till the tomato turns mushy.

Add the grated Paneer and salt and mix. Cook on low flame for about 5 min till the extra water reduces.

Add the chopped coriander leaves, give it a stir and switch off the flame. Add a dash of lime juice if desired.

Serve hot with Chapati/Roti or Phulkas or as a side dish with Rice, i.e. when its not made for the lunch box :)

6 comments:

  1. Looks like great tasting breakfast! :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too made this some days back..it really helps when we are tired to make something sophisticated

    ReplyDelete
  3. Asha: Thanks & yeah, why not? It could be had for breakfast as well, maybe with garlic bread or just plain toast! But we generally have it for lunch/dinner :) Thanks for dropping by.

    EC: Yes, it really is a great option when you are low on time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks very delicious & easy to make

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy breakfast, have you tried Tofu Burji, that tastes great too.
    You have some awesome paneer dishes, I just saw :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Trupti: Thanks, yes it is very easy & quick to make.

    Sandeepa: Thanks, we are great Paneer fans here :) I have never had Tofu and am very apprehensive about it too, maybe I should try it some time.

    ReplyDelete

Hello & Welcome to Taste Buds! Thank you for dropping by and I hope you enjoyed your visit here. Your comments & suggestions are very valuable and I will try to reply to them at the earliest.